Thursday 13 October 2011

If at first you don't succeed....

I have been trying to get on with my table runner for the modern christmas table runner.  I started off with completely the wrong fabric - it just didn;t look good.  So last night and this evening I started again and was much happier with the fabric.  I started to sew the middle block together:


Hmmm, this doesn;t look right - I have sewn the two outer blocks on the top row upside down. Unpick, start again:


Err, no, I don't think so!!



Got there in the end.  I really like this block.  My partner (and I hope I have got this right) seems to favour darker colours, but I didn;t want to go too dark.  This big star will be flanked either side by wonky stars.  Personally, I love the block, although the fabric is not really my thing, but I have read, and re-read my partners blog and am hoping I am in the right direction.  Unfortunately, I appear to have ended up with a silent partner, so am just going to go with it!
By the way, I have Sheila to thank for my newly discovered love of paper piecing, if she hadn't got us to do it in the mystery quilt along, I don't think I would have ever tried it!

The weather here in this little south east corner has continued to be lovely, with the exception of today.  Yesterday I was in a lovely part of Essex, near Sible Hedingham, where green fields and countryside abound.  The sun was shining, I had three lovely schools to visit and everything was good.  I had lunch sitting on a bench in the sunshine. I believe the weather for the weekend is set to be lovely too

5 comments:

  1. another star... I really am seeing stars everywhere now! Looks great though Catherine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your working process, it helps me to realise you are human after all! Those stars are awesome, im so not brave enough yet to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My partner isn`t that chatty but perhaps she`ll perk up. Flikr is time consuming if you are a member of a few groups and with emails, blogging and trying to create as well as being a mum, it`s hard to find that time sometimes. She`ll love it - your star is beautiful and clever Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you are enjoying foundation piecing. I rather like the way you were going with the corner patches upside down, they looked a bit cactus like, altho your block is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous block and your runner is going to be great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message